Sunday, March 1, 2015

Mayonnaise

Hubby loves mayonnaise and my work buddy told me that it can be home-made. Why didn't I thought of that!

However a slight concern, mayonnaise is made of raw eggs and I am not very comfortable to serve the boy raw eggs yet even though that the use of vinegar/ lemon juice should sorta 'cook' the egg. It still does not assure me enough.

I do not mind letting the boy taste mayonnaise but it should at least be free of bacteria (salmonella or any germs). A quick search over google opens up the idea of pasteurized egg. In fact we can find it relatively easy in supermarkets. Otherwise we can pasteurized our own eggs (shall touch on that later).

http://www.eggstory.com.sg/story.html

Egg Story sells pasteurized eggs in major supermarkets. I got it at $3.95 for a carton of 10 eggs. Normal eggs usually cost me $2.90. So it's only about $1 more, and so convenient.

Bought a tray and proceed to try out the recipe.

http://www.marthastewart.com/340597/basic-mayonnaise

Basic Mayonnaise Recipe

Prep: 5 mins
Total Time: 5 mins
Yield: 1-1/3 cups

Ingredients:
2 large egg yolks (*I used normal pasteurized eggs)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (*a few recipes called for Rice Wine Vinegar instead)
1 cup vegetable oil (*I used Olive oil)
Coarse salt and ground pepper (*normal salt but no pepper being used, whatever I had at home)
(*sugar was added as well)

Method:
1. Place egg yolks in a food processor. (To avoid using raw eggs, substitute yolks from pasteurized eggs.)

2. Add mustard and lemon juice. Pulse ingredients until well combined.

3. With motor running, add oil in a slow, steady stream (mixture should become thick and emulsified). Season with salt and pepper.

4. Refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 week.

COOK'S NOTE
If the mayonnaise separates after the oil is added, the mixture has broken. To bring it to a creamy state, add an egg yolk and 1 teaspoon tepid water to a clean bowl, and slowly add the broken mayonnaise while whisking constantly. Then, whisk in 1/4 cup more oil.



Verdict: I was looking more at the flavour of Kewpie (Japanese) mayonnaise, totally slipped my mind that the Ang Moh version is more sourish than sweetish. Hence I tried to experiment with adding in the sugar. Also, perhaps can go easy on the lemon first and add on should the taste needs to be stronger. Need to tweak on the proportion of mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper and sugar further to find the balance suited for my taste bud.

Note: The mayonnaise had sat in the fridge for almost a week, hubby commented that the taste is good, think with time, the taste got stronger. He was thinking more mustard to beef up the tangy side of the mayonnaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment